Saturday 16 December 2017

A tougher test against an old enemy.



I think it’s ever since the 1981 F.A. Cup final – and replay – that I often find The Lilywhites from North London an irritant. Despite occasional victories (some of them big and / or important ones) over Spurs both home & away over the years; still my overriding memories of playing this lot are mostly bad ones ending in defeats.

 

That, of course, has started to change and swing more in our favour in recent years but I still find that I go into games against Tottenham less confident that we’ll come out of it with a win; despite how brilliantly we’re playing at the moment…and the fact that we stand a Grand Canyon-sized 18 points clear of them in mid-December! 

 

Still, my feelings about this one on Saturday evening isn’t helped by the fact that our visitors are so very inconsistent and unpredictable so far this season; drawing & losing almost as many as they’ve won! 

 

They’ve got goal-scorers and so many creative players in their team and yet have the lowest ‘goals scored’ in the top-5 sides but at the same time have a mean defence; holding the joint-3rd-best record in the Prem this season so far.


v Tottenham Hotspur


Etihad Stadium


Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:
(Number correct from starting line-up in the last game: 9/11).

Fluid 4-1-4-1 / 4-5-1 / 4-3-3:

___________________Jesus____________________






____Sane___________________________Sterling____

___________D. Silva__________De Bruyne_________


_________________Fernandinho__________________

Delph___________________________________Walker

___________Mangala________Otamendi___________





___________________Ederson____________________



Ederson owns the gloves.

Ahead of him is a largely familiar Fabian, Eliaquim, Nicholas & Kyle.

Fernandinho, withdrawn on 58 minutes in midweek to rest / protect, anchors in just in front of the back-4. In a far more attacking role is the quartet of Leroy, David, Kevin & Raheem; all in support of Gabriel, I would say for this on and going off rotation of the strikers.

Notable absences: John Stones (injured for about another 2 weeks), Benjamin Mendy (continues rehab following injury / surgery) & Vincent Kompany (injured for a few more days).

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?


Certainly do!

Result? Well I’ve already said a lot about how I feel when we play these and not only did I correctly predict a draw in the corresponding fixture last season but, I understand, our last FOUR clashes have all ended likewise.

I think they’ll be goals at both ends…but I think that this one will end in a score-draw. Whether that leaves us 12 or “just” 9 points ahead of our nearest chaser will remain to be seen…

Last season’s, corresponding pre-match prediction and result…
Prediction: Draw
Result: Draw


They’ll be no time for a pre-Leicester Blog-posting in mid-week, I’m sorry to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment