Wednesday 4 April 2018

Stick or twist.


With such a fine display in Merseyside against lesser opposition, admittedly, than the one we’re going to face in the same metropolitan county; there’s a good argument for Pep to stick with the same 11, should 4 days be enough recovery time for ‘em all, which I would say should be the case considering some of them have recently had a big break and it was largely a stroll for our lads last Saturday. 

 

But we could see some changes in an effort to restrict our host’s attacking threat and it all makes for a difficult one to predict.


v Liverpool


Anfield

Predicted line-up, subs and outcome:
(Number correct from starting line-up in the last game: 9/11).

Fluid 5-3-1-1 (What?!)

_______________Jesus__________________________



________________________Sterling________________




___________D. Silva__________De Bruyne__________


__________________Fernandinho__________________
Sane_____________________________________Walker



_________Laporte____Kompany___Otamendi_________




____________________Ederson____________________


Well, I’ve spoken in my introduction about the possibility of personnel change from the last outing…but I also just cannot shake the feeling that Guardiola will spring a surprise on all by changing the set-up for this one too. It’s not like him to give the ‘oppo’ TOO much respect, in a way, I know…and he certainly isn’t one to change his philosophy.

However, like many I think he sees the dangers of what our North West neighbours bring to the encounter and might, therefore, ‘tweak’ his side; albeit one that would shackle our attacking left-flank a little IF he chooses what I’m suggesting.

Ederson, of course, in net.

A ‘back 3’ of Aymeric, Vincent & Nicholas; with possibly Leroy as an attacking left-wing-back and Kyle likewise on the right side.

Fernandinho almost playing as an additional defender; dropping deep whenever Sane and / or Walker push on, leaving Laporte & Otamendi on alert of the gaps left vacant either side.

Ahead of those, however, it leaves 4 attacking players to really have a go at the home side – Kevin & David ‘doing their thing’ in the middle and further up when possible with Raheem & Gabriel almost floating (buzzing) around Liverpool’s defence & box; giving them little to mark and all sorts of headaches, I hope.

Claudio as reserve stopper; Danilo, John, Oleksandr & Fabian the defensive replacement choices, although both the latter can fill-in other roles further up the pitch if needed. Ilkay & Bernardo provide back-up ‘craft’ should that be needed at some stage.

Notable absences:

-       Benjamin Mendy: Back in training, I think, but certainly not ready for a game like this. I think we’ll see our summer signing get some game time after we’ve secured the league, whenever that may be…
-       Yaya Toure: Not selected.
-       Sergio Aguero: Hadn’t travelled the short distance with the squad yesterday but, with a wry smile when asked if the Argentine would, then, be included in this game, our manager said, “We will see...”. I’ve left him out anyway in my predictions…

Do I agree with Pep’s (predicted) line-up?


It would be a shame to see Leroy sitting so deep and so, for that, it would frustrate me a little. However, away in such a crucial, 2-legged game I would also very much understand that decision as well and, so, yes.

Result? I think we’ll see goals at both ends and, to a lot of fans, that might seem like a flippin’ obvious statement for me to make…and is, perhaps also, a massive understatement. Having said that, IF Pep goes with this line-up, we could well shut-out a very attacking side.

I was leaning, at one stage, towards a narrow away win because of the fact that we’re playing so very, very well. But…I’ve had more of a feeling towards a score draw (away goals for us then) and that’s what I’m going with.

Last season’s, corresponding pre-match prediction and result…
Prediction: N/A
Result: N/A

No comments:

Post a Comment